Wednesday, August 4, 2010

# 19-?uestlove of The Roots' epic record collection....



Those of you that know me enough to have been in the apartments/houses I dwell know that within the last few years, I've acquired about 200-250 vinyl records. I've been collecting on and off since around 2003, and I have to say that taking up vinyl collecting has been a truly exciting endeavor-I feel like this hobby will carry on throughout my entire life. Being a music fan automatically makes you a music collector, no matter which format you prefer. Without question, the internet has certainly blurred the lines of music distribution. Within the last few years, many music collectors/fans have migrated towards collecting and listening to vinyl records because of the experience. I for one couldn't agree more; I feel that spinning a vinyl record is the best way to listen to music. My friend Kevin once made a very poignant, but very true statement when it came to record collecting: "A CD/MP3 is a digital representation of music. A vinyl record IS the music".

Couldn't have said it better myself. This of course brings us to Amhir "Questlove" Thompson of the Legendary Roots Crew. The Roots are responsible for 9 outstanding albums, one of the most entertaining live shows i've ever seen, and lest we forget being the coolest band in late night. Questo has an INSANE record collection-many of us collectors have dreamed of having a set up like this, a sprawling library with ladders that toggle from left to right. Questo's sister, Anh, has quite a bit of dialogue, and her take on growing up in a musical family is really cool/interesting.

Apparently, this vid was shot back in 2003, and his collection is up to 70,000 records now. sheesh. I've got a long way to go.

-Marty.

No comments:

Post a Comment