Monday, January 25, 2010

#10-Show Review-Aesop Rock/Rob Sonic/DJ Big Wiz @ the Mohawk ...1/23/2010



As Saturday night rolled around, I was trying my damndest to get through the day...was planning on going to see AR but was scared I wasn't gonna get in. Contrary to popular belief, I don't just sit in my apartment and spin my vinyl copy of Illmatic all day and night. Blogmaster Marty likes to leave the house, typically for rock/hip hop shows, cheap beer, record stores, and tacos. anything else isn't worth getting up for. Ok, joking aside Aesop is starting to gain some serious momentum while becoming more and more prolific. The crowds keep getting bigger and bigger, and for good reason.

Upon parking downtown, I received a text that confirmed my aforementioned suspicion; the show had in fact, sold out. Thanks to my friend Coby, (stage right) I was able to get in...his roommate had an extra ticket, and as I walked in, Aesop and Rob Sonic were ripping through "Coffee". As we scurried towards the bar, I saw just how PACKED the mohawk was....as much as I wanted to jump outside and nod my head w/ the rest of the crowd, I knew I had to get some type of libation. Coby and I grabbed 4 lonestar 16-ouncers and headed outside. From there, AR and Rob Sonic ripped through much of 2008's None Shall Pass; cuts from Bazooka Tooth, Float, and Labor Days also wafted high into the red river district air. The Hail Mary Mallon track "D Up" was also done....followed by an encore of "The Yes and the Ya'll", which I might have gotten a little too excited about.

Unfortunately my Finepix has been a little under the weather as of late so I couldn't shoot the show-This picture the only one I could find that kind of captured the essence of the show...those are my friends Coby and Andrea above.

All in all was a great, great show. Thanks to Coby, Andrea, and Brian (who had the extra ticket) for making it an insanely fun night!!

-Marty.

No comments:

Post a Comment